5.25.2011

Weekend Update....

Yes, I realize it's Wednesday and I admited earlier that I'm a slacker... so here we go.

I took Friday off from work so I could travel down to Corpus.  It's such a wonderful fun drive going from Houston to Corpus.  Let's look at all the sights....

Wow, exciting stuff
This is like an hour later... 
Even the GPS is bored.

Then this happened.....
You gotta be kidding me....
Sigh.  Although my incident isn't nearly as traumatic now that hubby has dropped his iPhone in the pool... 

Made it to Corpus Friday afternoon and of course, realized I forgot to pack something (I realized it 15 minutes into the trip... but that's way too far to turn around.... duh) so I stopped at Target.  I forgot that it's completely normal to be attacked by seagulls when walking into stores....  I had no idea that Target could be so ghetto.  It almost scared me in there... They claim to be remodeling but whatever.  Since I was kidless I did have to hit up the clearance racks and managed to grab a cute purple zip up hoodie jacket for $5.  Score! 

Met with the group, got our gear (shirts, numbers, etc.)  went back to Dad's house and chilled.  A good blogger would've gotten some more pictures but obviously that isn't me.

Our shirts were very cute... I'll have to con the hubby into take a picture of me in it sometime. 

The morning of the race was relatively organized thanks to the convenience of cell phones...  We all met up in the parking lot of HEB.  I was running leg 4 of the race through the military base so I got to walk to my hand off point.  The rest of the group had to get on busses to get to their points. 

The actual race itself was well organized.  There were over 2,500 teams and an estimated 16,000 runners.  There are six legs to the race, each leg was approximately 4 miles (mine was 4.69) and the total race was 26.2 miles.  The idea behind the race was to honor the military since it's always run on Armed Forces Day.  Armed Forces Day is on the 3rd Saturday of May... May in Corpus is hot... Wouldn't you think this would make race organizers reconsider the timing?  I suppose since this was the 36th running of the race they were set on the date... whatever.

By the time my leg was set to run it was 9:45, the temp was up to about 84 and the humidity level was 100%.  100%? how is that possible?  It wasn't raining.  It was ridiculously hot.  I wanted to stop after 10 minutes into the run.  I managed to finish with only walking through the water stations.  (Which they had at each mile marker... so awesome)  I'm a military brat and former spouse (only cause he's not in the service anymore, not that I have some mystery ex-husband) so it was nice to be able to run around the base where I spent a good amount of time as a child.  I even sent hubby a picture of the craphole apartment he was living in when we first met.

uhhh... so glad we moved up in the world


So I finished my leg, handed off and then had to walk 2 MORE MILES to get to a spot where they were even letting cars get close. 


Ha ha sorry bastards, you still have to run and I'm done...  Oh wait, I have to walk 2 miles?

I took this picture because there was a helicopter landing but I don't think you can even see it... 

Found my group and then we proceed to go pick up #5...  note to #5, take your phone with you next time, it's impossible to find you without it (I really don't know how groups did this before cell phones).  We managed to find everyone and then we headed out.  I got dropped off at Dad's house and then....

I GOT THE HELL OUT OF TOWN!!! (plus i missed the kids)

1 comment:

  1. Dang sucks that you still had to walk 2 miles! I wanna see the cute shirt tho... take a pic already!

    Sounds like fun, minus the heat and humidity.. maybe next year I wanna try!

    ReplyDelete